What is fractional laser?
What is fractional laser?
A fractional laser treatment is an intensive laser treatment for skin rejuvenation and improvement. This treatment is also used to treat and reduce (medical) scars. The skin is treated with fractionated laser beams, whereby tiny holes are created in the skin due to enormous heating.
The laser beams focus very controlled on the water present in the skin cells, causing evaporation. The healthy skin then heals the tiny holes with new skin cells. The restorative capacity of the skin stimulates the production of collagen, giving the skin a 'natural lift', as it were.
The skin will already feel firmer, tighter and smoother two to three weeks after the treatment. The treatment also visibly reduces imperfections – such as wrinkles and scars – in the skin.
Who is fractional laser for?
A fractional laser treatment can be used for different purposes and is therefore not age-related. However, we always use a minimum age of 18 years. In practice, this treatment is most often applied to skin aged 30+.
A fractional laser treatment is ideal for:
- Reduction of fine lines and wrinkles in the skin
- Reduction of coarse pores and irregular skin relief
- Repair skin damage caused by the sun Reduction of scar formation (e.g. acne scars)
- Prevention against skin aging
- Skin firming
- Acne and acne scars
Laser hair removal can be used for the following indications:
- Pigmented hair
- Excessive hair: hirsutism and hypertrichosis
You cannot undergo the treatment if you have the following indications and/or characteristics:
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Acute active infections (herpes simplex/cold sore) in the treated area
- Medication (antibiotics, prednisone, penicillin, isotretinoin/roacuttane/vitamin a cream and St. John's wort)
- Presence of a pacemaker
- Eczema and Psoriasis
- Tendency to keloid scarring
- Raised lesions in the treated area (birthmarks)
- Tattoos in the treatment area
- Sunburned skin or tanned skin
- Recent treatment with chemical peel/dermapen in the treated area
- skin cancer, radiotherapy and/or chemotherapy in the past 5 years.
Always wait two weeks to schedule a treatment after stopping certain medications. If you have any doubts about whether a certain medication can affect the treatment, please always contact us.
Aftercare & reimbursements
Aftercare laser treatment
After a fractional laser treatment, your skin will need a few days to recover. Immediately after the treatment, your skin will feel sensitive, slightly swollen and tight. The heat from the laser causes redness that can last for several days. You should also take into account scabs and flakes on the skin. These symptoms are normal and a sign that your skin is recovering, after which the result of the treatment will be clearly visible! On average, recovery after treatment takes five to six days. The fractional laser treatment creates new collagen in the skin. This process can continue for more than 3 months after the treatment, after which the end result of the treatment is only really visible.
- Because your skin is extra sensitive after the treatment, you should protect your skin extra well against the sun (protection factor SPF 50).
- Do not shower for 24 hours because of the steam and heat.
- Do not exercise, swim or take a sauna for 48 hours.
- Do not use acids for a week.
Reimbursements for laser treatment
At Clinique Elixir, only HBO certified skin therapists work, who are affiliated with the Dutch Association of Skin Therapists (NVH) and the quality register for Paramedics (KP). The fractional laser for scars can possibly be reimbursed if you have additional insurance. Ask the skin therapist about the possibilities.
Would you like to start lasering? Make an appointment now for a free intake consultation.
'Skin rejuvenation and scar reduction with the fractional laser'
The Fractional laser is not only suitable for rejuvenating the skin, but also for reducing scars caused by acne or other causes.
Ask the skin therapist!
Do you have a specific question about your skin, our products or one of our treatments? Our skin therapists are ready to answer all your questions.